Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Death Dealer commission , part 1

For you who are anxious to know what is going on on my drawing table, I decided to post a series of entries that will follow the development of a commission I am working on at this very moment. It is a Frazetta’s Death Dealer drawing commission, inspiring on one hand, intimidating on the other. I find myself on the Master Frazetta’s grounds. This is enough to give me a feeling of inadequacy, which is not a very good  mental state to start a commission with. However, in the next couple of days I will try not to embarrass myself and hopefully produce something that will do justice to this famous character and his creator.
At the same time I am offering you a seat in the front row and hope that you will enjoy the show, although at the moment I do not know what kind of show you are about to see; an embarrassing  comedy, a disappointing horror or an inspiring adventure story. Well, we shall see…
This is the firs rough thumbnail sketch drawn quickly on an envelope.

The next quick thumbnail made with pencils on a proper sheet of paper.

First two rough sketches based on the thumbnails. The idea about the future composition starts to develop itself and the forms and details start to appear.


Apart from a few reference images of Death Dealer, this is the only reference that I use at this stage. It is a drawing of an athlete that I did some years ago. It helps me focus on the anatomy and the movement.

5 comments:

  1. Can't tell you how excited I am to see the final work! Another masterpieace, no doubt.
    If it were (almost) anyone else, I'd probably be thinking "Don't touch Death Dealer, man!" But you are the right man for the job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! Although I preferred the legs in the thumbnails, I couldn't use two weapons when standing so upright ;-) Reminds me of the crossada in filipino martial arts Greetings from Germany http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOiyk8gw5PQ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, what Jani wrote in the previous post is exactly what I was thinking (figure on the last drawing looks too static), but I haven't mentioned it since these are probably just the preliminary sketches and Petar is still trying out different ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, for what it teaches us, it seems a worthy tribute to the Master: a pint is amazing, thank you very much for teaching art in an altruistic way, teacher

    ReplyDelete